So far, the Javno podjetje Ljubljanska parkirišča in tržnice, d.o.o. company has been reorganized several times and has changed its name accordingly. Since 1994, it has been an associated company of Javni Holding Ljubljana, d.o.o., which was also often renamed.An important change was introduced on 23rd July 2007 when a contract for transferring all business assets to the City Municipality of Ljubljana, its date of effect being 31 December 2007, was signed on the basis of the decision brought by the Ljubljana City Council. From that day onwards, the City Municipality of Ljubljana started exercising its founding rights.Based on the merger contract as of 31st December 2007, the District Court of Ljubljana registered the merger of Parkirišča Javno podjetje, d.o.o. and the acquiring company Ljubljanske tržnice d.o.o., whereby the later changed its name to Javno podjetje Ljubljanska parkirišča in tržnice, d.o.o., with a short company name of JP LPT d.o.o.
After the merger, the company performed two obligatory and one optional commercial public service and other activities.
In early October 2008, the Decree on municipal roads and a Memorandum of Association of the limited liability company of Javno podjetje Ljubljanska parkirišča in tržnice, d.o.o. were amended. Therefore, the legal basis for the beginning of the transmission of the obligatory commercial public service of municipal roads maintenance was established. The company commenced the service in mid-November 2008.
Upon the transfer of the new activity (obligatory commercial public service of municipal roads maintenance), the company was involved in the performance of three obligatory and one optional commercial public service and other activities, including commercial activities.
At the end of March 2011, the optional commercial public service of passenger transportation to the Ljubljana Castle by funicular railway was excluded from the company and merged with the Ljubljana Castle Public Institution.
As specified in the Decree amending the Decree on Establishing the Regime of Navigable Waterways, which entered into force at the beginning of August 2008, the company took over another optional commercial public service; i.e. that of port and point of entry/exit management. The implementation will begin as soon as the City Municipality of Ljubljana builds the ports and points of entry/exit along the Ljubljanica river banks.
History of Ljubljana Marketplaces
The central marketplace area, which now features buildings designed by architect Jože Plečnik, has been the central point of Ljubljana since the Middle Ages.In the old days, the local people would gather and trade at the location of today's marketplace found at the foot of the castle hill as the spot was conveniently located close to the sacral buildings as well as the river and bridges connecting the old centre with the city which, today, expands to the left bank of the Ljubljanica, which was, at that time, located beyond the city walls.
At the end of the 19th century, a large part of the produce was sold in front of the city hall, where daily and weekly markets were held.
However, in 1901 when the tram track was arranged in front of the city hall, the central food marketplace had to be partially relocated to the nearby Pogačarjev trg Square.The Pogačarjev trg Square was in fact a costermonger market, since the majority of costermongers who were selling fruits and vegetables was relocated there. In the beginning of the 20th century however, it also became the place where farmers’ wives could sell their produce.The rapid increase of Ljubljana’s population and the over-crowdedness of the marketplace were reasons why, in 1903, the marketplace was expanded to the nearby Vodnikov trg Square.
During the interwar period, the Vodnikov trg Square and Pogačarjev trg Square as welč as the fromer Obrežje 20. septembra (today: Adamič-Lundrovo nabrežje Embankment) and the Dolničarjeva ulica Street were the centre of the marketplace.The weekly fairs which, in the past, used to be scattered through the old part of the town, depending on their offering, were now concentrated in the largest concentrated area in Ljubljana continuing the tradition of weekly fairs.
In 1932, Jože Plečnik designed a new Ljubljana City Hall at the Vodnikov trg Square, but the city administration gave priority to the construction of new marketplaces which, according to Plečnik’s designs, were to span from the Kresija Palace to the Dragon Bridge with the Butcher’s Bridge right in the middle.The construction works began in August 1940 and ended in 1944. Today, the entire complex of Plečnik’s market place spans from the Three Bridges to the Dragon Bridge.
After WW2, the Ljubljana marketplace was given a new location in the basement of the Seminary, in a "covered marketplace" which is now leased by the company.The marketplace was first renovated in 1975/76 and then again in 1994/95 when it was completely overhauled and technologically updated to comply with the guidelines of the monument protection authority.
History of the Ljubljana Parking Facilities
The parking facilities management has discontinuously been carried out since 1976 within the organisation called Živilski trgi (Food Markets).The first parking meters were introduced in 1971 and set up at the Kidričeva ulica Street, the Trg OF Square and the Mestni trgSquare.In 1976, the work unit of the parking facility carried out its activities in the following 10 organised motor vehicle parking facilities:Krekov trg Square, Pogačarjev trg Square, Hotel Union, Metalka-Modna hiša, Trg osvoboditve Square, Žale I, Žale II, Hotel Turist, Tivoli, Ježica (cargo vehicles).The work unit also managed the used vehicle market which was relocated in 1973 from its original location next to the Poljanska cesta road to Dobrunje and, finally, to its present location at the Cesta dveh cesarjev Road.
The towing service for inaccurately parked vehicles began in 1976, where upon an order issued by the municipal inspection service or police such vehicles were taken to the parking facility in Ježica.In those days, an average of 10 incorrectly parked vehicles were towed per day.
History of the Municipal Roads Maintenance Activity
Before its merger with Ljubljanska parkirišča in tržnice d.o.o. at the end of 2008, the activities which are today carried out in the framework of Municipal Roads Maintenance were carried out as one of the activities of the Javna razsvetljava d.o.o. company which had been organised within the Ljubljana Municipal Utility Company.The City Municipality of Ljubljana got its first traffic lights junction on 21st April 1961 at the junction of the Karlovška cesta Road and the road coming from the tunnel running under the Ljubljana Castle.That year also saw the construction of an underpass at the Titova cesta Road and Celovška cesta Road, respectively, and nine traffic lights at the following junctions:Ajdovščina, Pošta (Post Office), Bavarski dvor, Resljeva ulica/Komenskega cesta, Poljanska/Kopitarjeva ulica, Celovška/Tržaška ulica, Celovška cesta/Na jami, Delavski dom and Titova/Topniška cesta.All traffic lights were manufactured and set up by the Iskra company, their maintenance falling under the Javna razsvetljava company.
In the framework of the traffic lights maintenance, the company additionally organised a group that was in charge of the design and set up of traffic lights in Ljubljana.
The maintenance and renovation of road traffic signs was assigned to the public utility company called Komunalno podjetje Snaga in 1964 which, for this reason, founded a work unit with a painting and sign painting workshop responsible for the upkeep of horizontal and vertical traffic signs.